- How is Skylace different from other Chinese Language Schools?
- Established in 1989, Skylace Language School is the first MOE-registered private language school in Singapore, specialising in providing Chinese enrichment classes for children from 24 months to 16 years of age.
- Through years of experience and research, we have developed our very own learning aids “The Wisdom Card”, which have proven to be one of the most effective and quickest ways to master the Chinese language.
- We provide personalised services to meet individual needs.
- Our management always studies the changes in the local educational system and does necessary amendments to our programmes and therefore, our curriculums are up-to-date and in line with the latest MOE syllabus.
- What is the Skylace’s approach
- Learn through play and interactive activities.
- A systematic and comprehensive Chinese Language Programme that helps children to acquire and develop their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills in Mandarin.
- Learn Mandarin through mastery of the Chinese phonetics—Hanyu Pinyin. Learning Hanyu Pinyin is essential as it provides a good foundation for one’s oral language development in speaking impeccable Mandarin.
- Provide a lively, fun and creative environment that allows children to grow to their fullest potential and develop holistically.
- We promote parental involvement in children’s learning and form strong partnerships with all parents in our school.
- How does Skylace help a child to establish a solid Chinese language foundation?
Our curriculum is designed for children from 2 years old to 16 years old (see Course Details). Skylace’s programme is planned for the children in a systematic and progressive manner.
- Preschoolers may start our toddler programme at the age of 2. They get to acquire and develop their listening and speaking skills at the initial stage and then will start to establish reading foundation through word recognition. Writing will be introduced at the last stage together with applications such as Sentence Construction.
- When a child reaches the age of 6 (Kindergarten 2 level), he or she will progress to our Hanyu Pinyin programme, which takes 3 terms to complete (Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced). Children who completed our preschool and Hanyu Pinyin curriculum would have a solid foundation for listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. He or she would be well-prepared and ready to start formal schooling in primary school.
- For primary school students, our curriculum includes the Enrichment Classes, Reading & Composition Classes and Chinese Oral Class. Each programme focus at different skill sets and learning areas.
- For secondary school students, the programme is specially tailored to further enhance their oral, reading and writing skills to a sophisticated level. The programme includes contents such as reading newspaper articles and discussion of current affairs. Students are taught how to look for the gist of the article and further analyse it. In addition, students are encouraged to express their thoughts during presentation and will also learn to put their thoughts into words in the form of argumentative or discussive essays.
- What is Wisdom Card?
Wisdom Card series are sets of colourful visual learning flash cards that help children to enhance their word recognition and Chinese oral skills rapidly. The Wisdom Card adopts the memory linking method, which is based on the right brain training approach. It is easy to use and come complete with an audio CD to guide the user.
- What is the right age to use the Wisdom Card?
Children maximise the utilisation of the right brain during the period of ages 0-3 and therefore, parents may start flashing the cards to children as young as an infant. The information will serve as inputs for the child and the cells in the brain are connecting fast for future brain usage. In addition, adults who have no Chinese language background can also benefit by using the Wisdom Card to learn recognition of Chinese characters or to speak Chinese in fluent sentences.
- What can parents do at home to support the children’s learning for the Chinese language?
There are many activities that parents can do with the children at home. The common issue is many parents in Singapore are very busy at work and have very little time to spend with their children at home. Therefore, besides activities such as story-telling and playing educational games, parents can use flash cards to support the children’s learning for the Chinese language. The Wisdom Card only needs 10 minutes a day!
- What are the benefits to be in a group-learning setting compared to
Children learn best when they are actively involved and having fun. A group-learning setting encourages interactive participation and therefore, it helps to stimulate the children’s interest and learn Chinese in a stress-free environment. In Skylace, we practise small-group learning and the teacher-student ratio makes it possible for teachers to give attention to each individual needs.
- Does Skylace require students to do homework?
Teachers will help students to complete all the worksheets in the classroom and therefore, there will be no homework being assigned to them.